Want to run?
If you have AS and want to continue running or get into running these are our top tips.
- Get advice from your physiotherapist.
- Make sure you share your physiotherapist's advice with your gym instructor, personal trainer or running partner
- Buy the best running trainers you can afford
- Make sure you replace your running trainers regularly
- Start gently. The NHS Couch to 5k programme offers great advice on getting started
- Try to run on softer surfaces rather than pounding the tarmac
- Don't overdo it. Pre-plan using a tool like Map My Run
- Listen to your body and cut back on your training if you are in flare.
- Try running in a pool. Water provides greater resistance and reduces stress on joints
- Avoid using a treadmill as it can encourage a damaging ‘pounding action’ .
- If you use a treadmill try walking uphill instead of running.
- Don't forget your stretches